The church of the Katernberg protestant parish was built by Carl Nordmann in 1901 as a symbol of life and faith in a district in the Ruhr area. It is a solid, brick church built in the Romanesque style with facing bricks and sandstone. The nave with its five window axes is built behind the belfry on the west side, standing in the longitudinal axis. The steel pillars which carry the wooden construction of the three-aisle church interior are well worth seeing. The church is a typical example of a steel pillar construction used around the turn of the century.