Nikolauskirche (16)

Neo-Romanesque church with Jugendstil interior from 1906-07
  • The parish church of St. Nicholas was built to the design of Carl Moritz at the foot of the Stoppenberger Kapitelberg between 1904 and 1907. It was necessary to build a new church as the parish was constantly growing and had become the biggest parish in the German Reich. The reddish-brown sandstone combines Romanesque and Gothic elements. When designing the interior, Moritz was inspired by Italian sacral buildings from Roman times: a large room which allows a free view of the altar, spanned by an enormous barrel vault with coloured coffers. A wide spectrum of stylistic elements has been used: Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance as well as Jugendstil elements in the furnishings and statues.

    AudioTour

    Distance from the Ernestinenstraße stop:
    30 m, turn right into Schultenhof