The collegiate church of Maria in der Not is located above the church of St. Nicholas. This house of worship has been the church of the resident women’s order of the Discalced Carmelites of "Maria in der Not" since 1965. The sisters of this order have committed themselves to strict seclusion. The collegiate church in Stoppenberg was donated by Essen’s abbess Schwanhilde in 1073 and consecrated as Nikolauskapelle (chapel of St. Nicholas) in 1074. In the 12th century Premonstratensians founded a double convent, which was later used as a nunnery only. The three-aisle, Roman pillar basilica made from Ruhr sand quarry stone is basically in the same condition as after the conversion in 1241. It is well worth seeing the 12th century baptismal font.
daily 7.00 Uhr - 18.00 Uhr
(closed 13.00 - 15.00 Uhr)
Distance from the Ernestinenstraße stop:
125 m, turn right into Schultenhof, head for Kapitelberg