The Kreuzeskirche has often been ridiculed as a “protestant working-class cathedral” because of its interior decoration, but it has much more to offer than that. It is the last public building from the 19th century still surviving in the northern part of the city centre. The church is regarded as a masterpiece of the round-arch style and has been listed since 1987. When Essen became a city in 1896, the German Empress, Auguste Viktoria, dedicated it as a place of worship. Kreuzeskirche was designed by the Berlin church-builder and architect, August Orth. The dialogue between science, religion and the arts is fostered in the "Forum Kreuzeskirche" in cooperation with the University of Duisburg and Essen, the Kulturwissenschaftliches Institut (KWI) (Institute of Cultural Studies) and the Folkwang-Hochschule (Folkwang University).