The Eickhaus was built in 1913 to plans by Georg Metzendorf. Fully faced with shelly limestone, the commercial building located at the former southern entrance to the city is of special interest in terms of urban development. The striking pagoda roof, which could be seen from a great distance, used to be a real eye-catcher but unfortunately it no longer exists. The building was famous for its luxurious carpet hall with an illuminated ceiling which could be half-opened. At that time, A. Eick & Söhne was Essen’s leading department store for carpets, home furnishings and decorations. Creations made by the Essener Raumkunstgruppe (Essen's Group for Interior Design) were also sold here.
Kettwiger Straße 1
Distance from the Essen Hauptbahnhof stop:
150 m, exit B, take direction of Innenstadt (city centre) to Willy-Brandt-Platz