With Haus am Kettwiger Tor – built between 1953 and 1957 – architect Wilhelm Eggerling purposely distanced himself from the monumental, closed style of the neighbouring Handelshof and designed a slim, open structure with six storeys. Its curved form conjures up a person with open arms, spread to welcome the viewer. It is combined with a two-storey flat wing, which, with its shopping arcades, was designed to bring big-city life into the centre of Essen. Right behind Kettwiger Tor is Allianzhaus, which was also designed by Eggerling. This building was the first of the modern high-rise structures in Essen after the War.
ContactKettwiger Straße 2-10
Share this page